Monday, July 6, 2009

Update from the hospital

Well, it finally caught up with him. All these months of home clean outs that never fully cleaned him out has left Seamus almost totally blocked and back in the hospital. It never fails, every July he ends up in the hospital. For those who don't frequent hospitals, that is the worst month to be in one. All the new doctors start and there is lots of confusion. Last year, we had a nightmare hospitalization but this year, it's been okay so far.

At first, we got quite a scare because when I called Seamus' GI doc and he heard Seamus sobbing in the background, he said "That is not the Seamus I know. Get to the closest hospital and get an x-ray now." When they looked at the x-ray, we were told he had a full obstruction and needed surgery but that hospital didn't have a peds surgeon so we were going to be transferred to Hopkins, which is our normal hospital. They wanted us to go in an ambulance because if he "coded out", they could help him. That was pretty hard to hear but after waiting 4 hours for them to come, we decided we'd risk it and drive the 40 minute drive ourselves.

When they looked at the x-ray here, they said it wasn't completely blocked and no surgery was needed. This has happened to us on numerous occasions. I really think they need to have better classes on reading x-rays in medical school because no one seems to agree on what they are looking at. Seamus was put on the full blown Go-lytely treatment to break it up. He's doing well, just hanging out watching Toy Story over and over and over, pooping, lots of pooping and charming all the nurses.

Prior to all this, we had a nice holiday weekend. On Friday, we went to the University Town Center for a picnic lunch and Seamus ran through the fountains with lots of new friends. Then we came home and made brownies topped with bright blue frosting, four kinds of sprinkles and jellybeans to get ready for Uncle Rick's visit.

Seamus and Uncle Rick spent lots of time playing football, tennis, the Wii ... I think Uncle Rick had a hard time keeping up. On Saturday, we started at our town's Fourth of July celebration and then headed over to our pool. It would have been a really nice day if Seamus hadn't woken up at 11:00 PM crying in pain, begging us to turn off his feeding tube.

Hopefully, we won't be here too much longer but Seamus has said he will not go home until we get the Toy Story DVD.


Tooter's Mommy (Courtney) said...

Oh, the poor little guy!! Give him big hugs from Olivia and me!!!

I don't like seeing our "babies" in the hospital!!

ssbean said...

Oh wow, that sounds painful. My grandma gets intestinal blockages like that, and gets so sick. I can't imagine how a young child deals with it. He's a strong boy. Praying for complete and speedy recovery for him.

Rebecca said...

Awww, poor Seamus! :o(

I really hope that he can get home soon, and I'm so so glad that he didn't need the surgery!

Better go buy the DVD so he can get home! ;)

Lots of hugs for you and for Seamus.

Becky, Seren & Dylan xxx

Zoe Isabella said...

Oh no! I will be praying for a quick recovery for the poor little guy.....and plenty of poop!!
Hang in there....

Kellee said...

xoxoxoxPRAYERSxoxoxoxox to you both!!