Monday, August 18, 2008

Goodbye Pa


Seamus' grandfather, who he called Pa, died yesterday. Seamus loved him very much and is going to miss him terribly. Pa and Seamus had a special relationship. Even when Pa was at his sickest, Seamus could make him smile with his high fives and silly questions.

Pa had been sick for a very long time with cancer. In October 2007, Pa and Ga, moved down to MD from Rochester NY to be with us. While we have been building an addition on our house for them, they have been living in a temporary apartment. Twice a week, they baby-sit Seamus and lately he hasn't been able to play with Pa very much. Seamus understood he was sick and had to go to the hospital last week.

Pa was in hospice care where my mom and I stayed with him and yesterday James and Seamus stopped to see us. It just happened to be right after Pa passed away. I was afraid I wouldn't know how to explain Pa's death to Seamus but before I had a chance to figure it out, he asked me "Where's Pa, where's Pa?"

"Pa's in heaven now with the angels, honey, and he isn't sick anymore."

"He's not?" The idea of Pa being well really seemed to make him happy.

But later when he saw that Ga was sad, he seemed confused. I told him she missed Pa and he said "But Pa is in the hospital". We told him again about Pa being in heaven and this time he said "I'm frustrated".

I'm worried because Seamus knows that he gets sick and has to go to the hospital often, just like Pa. I don't want him to associate going to the hospital with going to heaven.

2 comments:

G-Man's New Lungs said...

Very sorry to read this, know that we are praying for you and your family during this difficult time.

Victoria

Rebecca said...

Julie - I am sorry for your loss. Please give Seamus a huge hug for me. Death is such a hard thing for children to understand. I think it is even hard for adults.