Wednesday, February 23, 2011


It's pretty obvious I'm not very good at keeping up with this blog. When I first started, my intentions were to write about the happy times of Seamus' life but this past year has been a pretty rough one and often I found the only things I had to write about were not very happy. Don't get me wrong, even through all the difficult times, there are always moments of joyfulness and fun but sometimes just making it through the day is so exhausting, this blog is the last thing on my mind.

But now I can truly say I have something happy to write about. Cormac Richard Coleman has arrived! In true family fashion, it was not in the easiest manner. I think our family motto should be "If it can done in a more difficult way, we will find it."

I woke up on Valentines Day at 2:00 AM to a very uncomfortable sensation and realized my water had broken, 5 weeks too early. The doctor told me to get to the hospital right away. After having contractions for 7 hours with no dilation, they said I needed a C-section. I had just sent James home to take care of Seamus' morning treatments because I thought it was going to take awhile before any decisions were made but when they decided on the C-section, they meant right then. I had to tell James to quickly come back and he literally almost missed the whole thing. I was in the Operating room on the table within minutes of the birth before he got back.

Cormac was born at 9:39 am, 6 lbs, 19 inches, our perfect little Valentine. You would never knew he was a 35 week preemie.

The rest of our stay was pretty uneventful, after I got over the severe nausea and vomiting from the spinal they gave me. Mac had some breathing issues and spent a night in the NICU but nothing uncommon for a preemie. I also picked up a cough that I thought I got from Seamus when he came to visit. Seamus was just thrilled to meet his little brother.

We were discharged on Thursday and within a couple hours of being home, I was horribly sick with fevers and chills and the doc wanted me to head back to the ER to check for an infection. I spent the whole night getting all kinds of tests and they finally diagnosed me with pneumonia. I stayed in the hospital until Sunday after begging them to let me go home to my baby. They found out I didn't get it from Seamus but got it because of the vomiting which had aspirated into my lungs.

We're all home now and everything is going well. Seamus is such a good brother and can't wait to teach him everything. Pictures to come soon.

On another note, I know some people were confused because on Facebook, I had originally mentioned twins. I was pregnant with twins but we found out early on that one of them was very sick and at 15 weeks, his heart stopped. I wanted to let people know but it was a pretty difficult time and not something you can easily post about on Facebook.


Malin said...

Can't wait to meet him! Congrats again to all of you.

Sandy said...

Congrats to the whole family! cannot wait to see pictures!

Riverdale Park Farmers Market said...

This isn't easy but since I'm part of the family, I get to say this. Please amend the family motto to "We're not quitters which is a good thing because "If it can done in a more difficult way, we will find it."

Yes, I do realize this is not as catchy but a little more true to our perspective.

Rick C said...

Thanks for the story. Glad Julie and Mac are home! Let me know when I can visit. I'll be glad to stay elsewhere if that helps. Peace-<

Rebecca said...

I'm so excited for you guys! And I guess pneumonia is just 'going around' - Max has bronchial pneumonia (all related to his asthma crap), sinus infection - and today - to top it off - he ALSO has the flu! Luckily - I just have a bad sinus infection... Since he is allergic to all kinds of antibiotics - treatment is tricky. At our third doctor appointment THIS WEEK - I felt like a Coleman as I went through all the tricky things.

ONE DAY - Max will be healthy enough to see Seamus again, and meet Mac. (Max really REALLY likes the name MAC by the way!).

Love ya - have a great day!

megs said...